Definition of wire grass
: any of various grasses or rushes having wiry culms or leaves: such as
a : a Eurasian slender-stemmed meadow grass (Poa compressa) widely naturalized in the U.S. and Canada
b : any of several coarse grasses (genus Aristida) with a 3-awned lemma that grow extensively in open dry, sandy, or sterile areas especially of the southeastern and south-central U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game