Definition of whitetip
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a hummingbird of the genus Urosticte with white-tipped tail feathers
white tipnoun (2)
Definition of white tip (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a disease of leeks especially in Britain caused by a fungus (Phytophthora porri) and characterized by yellowing and dieback of the leaf tips which finally turn white
2 : any of several diseases of cereal grasses (as maize) and other crop plants caused by mineral deficiencies and resembling fungal white tip in symptoms
3 : a disease of rice caused by a nematode (Aphelenchoides oryzae) and characterized by whitening of the leaf tips
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?