whistle past the graveyardidiom
Definition of whistle past the graveyard
: to act or talk as if one is relaxed and not afraid when one is actually afraid or nervous He shows a confident manner, but he may just be whistling past the graveyard.
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game