wear offphrasal verb
wore off; worn off; wearing off; wears off
Definition of wear off
: to gradually decrease, disappear, or stop The painkillers wore off after a couple of hours. The shine on the leather will wear off pretty quickly. After you drive a new car for a while, the novelty wears off.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game