variants: or less commonly Wayback Machine
Definition of wayback machine
: a device for traveling into the past The past always seems a little better than the present, so who wouldn't want to take a trip in the wayback machine?— Steven Zeitchik He sort of resembles a grown-up version of Sherman, the cartoon character from "Rocky and His Friends" who used to join the dog Peabody on travels through history in "the wayback machine."— Joel Selvin
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game