variants: or less commonly Wayback Machine
Definition of wayback machine
: a device for traveling into the past The past always seems a little better than the present, so who wouldn't want to take a trip in the wayback machine?— Steven Zeitchik He sort of resembles a grown-up version of Sherman, the cartoon character from "Rocky and His Friends" who used to join the dog Peabody on travels through history in "the wayback machine."— Joel Selvin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game