variants: or less commonly Wayback Machine
Definition of wayback machine
: a device for traveling into the past The past always seems a little better than the present, so who wouldn't want to take a trip in the wayback machine?— Steven Zeitchik He sort of resembles a grown-up version of Sherman, the cartoon character from "Rocky and His Friends" who used to join the dog Peabody on travels through history in "the wayback machine."— Joel Selvin
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?