wave (someone) offphrasal verb
waved (someone) off; waving (someone) off; waves (someone) off
Definition of wave (someone) off
: to move one's hand as a way of telling someone that one does not want help We offered to help but he waved us off.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game