vinifera

noun
vi·​nif·​era | \ vī-ˈni-f(ə-)rə How to pronounce vinifera (audio) \
plural vinifera or viniferas

Definition of vinifera

: a common European grape (Vitis vinifera) that is the chief source of Old World wine and table grape varieties

Keep scrolling for more

Other Words from vinifera

vinifera adjective

Examples of vinifera in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web The history of vinifera in California is inextricable from the history of colonization. Esther Mobley, San Francisco Chronicle, 19 May 2021 After many generations of breeding, the resulting grapes are genetically 97.5% vinifera, with the remaining 2.5% just enough to confer that disease resistance. Esther Mobley, San Francisco Chronicle, 20 May 2021 The grapes usually have in their lineage vitis vinifera, the species common in Europe, and vitis riparia, North American grapes that provide cold-hardiness but are massively acidic. Bill Ward Special To The Star Tribune, Star Tribune, 14 Oct. 2020 It was long thought that the region was just too cold for the vinifera species, especially for red grapes. Fortune, 31 Aug. 2019 There were also several flights of wines made with fruit, berries and non-vinifera grapes like concord. Michael Alberty | For The Oregonian/oregonlive, oregonlive.com, 14 Aug. 2019 Phylloxera is particularly attracted to Vitis vinifera roots and will feast on them to the point where a vine no longer produces fruit. Michael Alberty | For The Oregonian/oregonlive, oregonlive, 4 Sep. 2019 These vines are of the European Vitis vinifera species, which produce familiar grapes like cabernet sauvignon and merlot. Michael Alberty | For The Oregonian/oregonlive, oregonlive, 4 Sep. 2019 In fact, two of the top four vinifera varieties grown there are red. Fortune, 31 Aug. 2019

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'vinifera.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of vinifera

1888, in the meaning defined above

History and Etymology for vinifera

New Latin, from Latin vinifer wine-producing, from vinum wine

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More About vinifera

Time Traveler for vinifera

Time Traveler

The first known use of vinifera was in 1888

See more words from the same year

Dictionary Entries Near vinifera

viniculture

vinifera

viniferous

See More Nearby Entries 

Statistics for vinifera

Last Updated

31 Aug 2021

Cite this Entry

“Vinifera.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vinifera. Accessed 24 Sep. 2021.

Style: MLA
MLACheck Mark Icon ChicagoCheck Mark Icon APACheck Mark Icon Merriam-WebsterCheck Mark Icon

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

Dog Words Quiz

  • shiba puppy more or less demanding cuddles
  • Which of the following animals has a dog in its etymology?
How Strong Is Your Vocabulary?

Test your vocabulary with our 10-question quiz!

TAKE THE QUIZ
Typeshift

Anagram puzzles meet word search.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!