vi·dame | \ vēˈdam\
Definition of vidame
: one of a class of French feudal temporal officers or advocates who originally represented the abbeys or bishops but later erected their offices into fiefs —used as an hereditary title of nobility which was recognized to the end of the ancien régime
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game