Definition of variable-density
: being or relating to a motion-picture sound track in which the sounds are represented as parallel lines that are at right angles to the length of the film and that vary in density in accordance with the volume and pitch of the recorded sound variable-density track — compare variable-area
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game