Definition of used to
(Entry 1 of 2)
: familiar with something so that it seems normal or usual I'm not used to driving this car yet. He is used to criticism. The dog will need a few days to become used to its new home. She quickly got used to the warm weather.
Definition of used to (Entry 2 of 2)
1 —used to say a situation existed in the past but does not exist now My grandmother said winters used to be harder here.
2 —used to say something happened repeatedly in the past but does not happen now We used to go out more often.They used to eat a lot of junk food but now they only eat healthy foods.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game