up the anteidiom
Definition of up the ante
1 : to raise the cost or price The popular actor first demanded twice the salary offered him but then kept upping the ante.
2 : to increase the risk or possible harm that could result from something —often + on The new law ups the ante on people who cheat on their taxes.
3 : to set a higher standard or goal —often + on The film ups the ante on special effects.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?