Definition of unrifled
: not rifled: such as
a : not ransacked or plundered rooms left unrifled Soon, while the crews were awaiting the arrival of the ship, the body [of the whale] showed symptoms of sinking with all its treasures unrifled.— Herman Melville
b : not having spiral grooves cut into the bore a gun with an unrifled barrel
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game