Examples of unprecedented in a Sentence
- … on one occasion, a president (Eisenhower) refers to himself as "conservative." Four years later, the Republican presidential nominee (Goldwater) announces that he is "a conservative." Another sixteen years later, Ronald Reagan, a self-declared conservative, is elected president by an overwhelming majority. By that time—1980—more Americans identify themselves as conservatives than as liberals. This was, and remains, a tectonic transformation, unprecedented in American history. —John Lukacs, Harper's, March 2008
- Faced with an unprecedented crisis that combines cyclical turbulence with metastasizing digital technology that steals away revenue and readers at an alarming and seemingly accelerating rate (while offering newspapers only stingy payoffs), publishers and editors everywhere have thrown away their rule books—and, to find their way in this new and alien environment, are ready to implement previously unthinkable changes. —Mark Fitzgerald et al., Editor & Publisher, August 2008
- Many of the forces that initially sent the economy into a tailspin in 1929 and 1930 have been at work in the 2000s as well: a stock-market boom turned bust, a real estate boom turned bust, unprecedented levels of consumer debt. —Justin Fox, Time, 10 Mar. 2008
- Shakespeare served as exemplar of the writer who achieved success, and an unprecedented degree of financial reward, from his pen alone. —Jonathan Bate, Harper's, April 2007
- Fan fiction … was once mainly a fringe pursuit. Now, it's changing the world of fiction, as Internet exposure helps unknown authors find mainstream success. Some Web sites are attracting unprecedented numbers of readers and, in some cases, leading to book deals. —John Jurgensen, Wall Street Journal, 16–17 Sept. 2006
- Shocking as it is, more than a month after the hurricane hit, New Orleans is still, for all practical purposes, a ghost town. The entire population has left—an unprecedented situation in modern times in any major city anywhere. —Tom Piazza, Why New Orleans Matters, 2005
The team has enjoyed unprecedented success this year.
This level of growth is unprecedented.
An unprecedented number of students are taking the class.
Recent Examples of unprecedented from the Web
In terms of technology, operations are experiencing an unprecedented digital revolution.
To continue reading this story, TRY IT NOW As impressive as the news is, these findings are not completely unprecedented, according to lead author Caoimhe Twohig-Bennett.
Private landowners and businesses located along the San Diego River pledged on Wednesday their support for the city’s unprecedented campaign to cleanup of the waterway, which has long been plagued by trash and homeless camps.
The Donald Trump administration has been an 18-month power grab built on McConnell’s unprecedented (and unconscionable) refusal to even grant a hearing to Merrick Garland, former President Barack Obama’s nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Now that the system has been calibrated, the new GRACE satellites can begin studying the Earth's gravity in unprecedented detail, giving scientists a deeper understanding of the moving parts of our planet.
Saturday’s temperatures were hot, but not unprecedented for New England, said Gary Lessor, chief meteorologist for the Western Connecticut State University Weather Center.
The Fed’s treatment of Goldman and Morgan Stanley—a compromise without the black eye of failure—was unprecedented and, to some bankers, a sign of an administration that is friendlier to Wall Street’s interest.
Elections officials and political consultants say such pervasive accusations of voter-signature fraud are unprecedented in recent state history.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'unprecedented.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
UNPRECEDENTED Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of unprecedented for English Language Learners
: not done or experienced before
UNPRECEDENTED Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up unprecedented? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).