un·guic·u·late | \ -ˌlāt\
variants: or less commonly unguiculated \ -ˌlātə̇d \
Definition of unguiculate
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a : having nails or claws
b : of or relating to the Unguiculata
2 : tapering below into a claw or a stalklike base an unguiculate petal
Definition of unguiculate (Entry 2 of 2)
: a mammal of the division Unguiculata
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game