Definition of ungenial
: not genial : not pleasant or cheerful … in the ungenial climate and soil of New England …— Nathaniel Hawthorne … for having the strength to get up every morning in the '70s and sit opposite the surly and ungenial Harry Reasoner.— Lynette Rice
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game