Definition of uncontemporary
: not marked by characteristics of the present period : not contemporary The other artist who doesn't dominate her images is Miriam Schwedt, whose nature photos look strange because they're so uncontemporary. The artist uses ancient (that is, 19th-century) photographic media to make one-of-a-kind pictures.— Mark Jenkins
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game