Definition of umbrella cockatoo
: a white cockatoo (Cacatua alba) native to Indonesia that has a long, broad, white crest resembling an umbrella when raised and that is often kept as a pet Sidney is a 20-month-old, foot-tall white umbrella cockatoo with yellow markings under each wing and its tail. Store manager Dana Adams says only the bird knows whether it's a male or female.— Larry Powell, The Dallas Morning News, 12 Jan. 2001
— called also white cockatoo
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?