Definition of ultramontane
1 : of or relating to countries or peoples beyond the mountains (such as the Alps)
2 : favoring greater or absolute supremacy of papal over national or diocesan authority in the Roman Catholic Church
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game