tur·ri·tel·la | \ ˌtərəˈtelə\
Definition of turritella
1 capitalized : a genus (the type of the family Turritellidae) of marine gastropod mollusks having an elongated turreted shell composed of many whorls with a rounded aperture and a horny multispiral operculum
2 or less commonly turritellid \ -lə̇d \ plural -s : any mollusk or shell of the genus Turritella or family Turritellidae — see screw shell
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game