try it onidiom
Definition of try it on
1 : to behave badly so that someone becomes annoyed or angry —often + with Don't take any notice of him—he's only trying it on with you.
2 : to try to start a sexual relationship with someone —often + with He tried it on with a girl at the pub.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game