trust tophrasal verb
trusted to; trusting to; trusts to
Definition of trust to
1 : to rely on (something one has no control over, such as luck or chance) to get what one wants or needs All we can do at this point is hope for the best and trust to luck.
2 : to give the responsibility of doing (something) to (someone) They trusted the care of their daughter to her grandparents while they were on vacation.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?