trip·tane | \ ˈtripˌtān\
Definition of triptane
: a liquid hydrocarbon (CH3)3CCH(CH3)2 that is one of the highest antiknock motor fuels known and hence is a valuable blending agent especially for aviation gasolines to increase their power; 2,2,3-trimethyl-butane
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game