Definition of triarylmethane dye
: any of a class of basic, acid, mordant acid, and direct dyes derived from triphenylmethane or diphenyl-naphthyl-methane usually by introduction of one or more auxochromic groups (as amino, methylamino, dimethylamino, or hydroxyl groups) and characterized in general by brilliance but not by fastness — see triphenylmethane dye
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game