Definition of triarylmethane dye
: any of a class of basic, acid, mordant acid, and direct dyes derived from triphenylmethane or diphenyl-naphthyl-methane usually by introduction of one or more auxochromic groups (as amino, methylamino, dimethylamino, or hydroxyl groups) and characterized in general by brilliance but not by fastness — see triphenylmethane dye
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game