Definition of traditional logic
1 : a system of formal logic mainly concerned with the syllogistic forms of deduction that is based on Aristotle and includes some of the changes and elaborations made by the Stoics and the Scholastics : aristotelian logic — compare immediate inference, opposition, subject-predicate, syllogism, symbolic logic
2 : inductive logic especially as developed by Francis Bacon and J.S.Mill
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game