to·ran | \ ˈtōrən\
variants: or torana \ -nə \
Definition of toran
1 : a gateway commonly of wood but sometimes of stone consisting of two upright pillars carrying one to three transverse lintels that is often minutely carved with symbolic sculpture and serves as a monumental approach to a Buddhist temple in India
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game