top offphrasal verb
topped off; topping off; tops off
Definition of top off
1 : to end (something) usually in an exciting or impressive way We topped off dinner with dessert and coffee. The victory tops off the coach's extremely successful career.
2 US : to fill (something) completely with a liquid I added a little more coffee to top off the mug. He stopped at the gas station to top off the car's tank.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game