Definition of top gear
1 : a vehicle's highest gear She got to the highway and shifted into top gear.
2 : a state of great or intense activity The project is now in top gear. The party hit top gear when the guest of honour arrived.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game