:to be or come in sight
- when the sun appears on the horizon
:to show up
- He appears promptly at eight each day.
:to come formally before an authoritative body
- must appear in court today
:to have an outward aspect :seem
- She appears (to be) happy enough.
:to become evident or manifest
- There appears to be evidence to the contrary.
:to come into public view
- a performer who first appeared on a television variety show
- The book appeared in print a few years ago.
:to come into existence
- Hominids appeared late in the evolutionary chain.