to·lan | \ ˈtōˌlan\
variants: or less commonly tolane \ -lān \
Definition of tolan
: a white crystalline unsaturated hydrocarbon C6H5C≡CC6H5 obtained synthetically from stilbene : diphenyl-acetylene
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game