Definition of to within
1 —used as a function word to indicate direction and movement to and somewhat past a point or to the outer limits of and some distance into a space jumped to within ¹/₂ inch of the recorddrove to within 50 yards of the green
2 —used as a function word to indicate duration up to and somewhat past a point in time worked hard to within five minutes of closing time
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?