Definition of tithing penny
: a small customary duty traditionally paid under old English law:
a : one paid by the tenants of a manor to the lord
b : one paid by the lord of a manor at the hundred court
c : one paid by each tithing to the sheriff to defray court expenses
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?