tie oneself (up) in knotsidiom
Definition of tie oneself (up) in knots
1 : to cause problems for oneself from being too careful, trying too hard, etc. The mayor tied himself in knots answering a touchy political question.
2 : to become very upset or worried I don't know why they're tying themselves in knots over such a trivial problem.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game