Definition of tie oneself (up) in knots
1 : to cause problems for oneself from being too careful, trying too hard, etc. The mayor tied himself in knots answering a touchy political question.
2 : to become very upset or worried I don't know why they're tying themselves in knots over such a trivial problem.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game