tie offphrasal verb
tied off; tying off or tieing off; ties off
Definition of tie off
1 : to fasten or hold (something) by tying a knot or bow at its end I finished knitting the last row and tied off the yarn.
2 : to close (something) with string, thread, etc. The surgeon tied off the vein.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game