throw/toss one's hat in/into the ringidiom
Definition of throw/toss one's hat in/into the ring
: to announce that one is going to try to win a contest (such as an election) Yet another candidate has thrown his hat into the ring.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game