throw/knock (someone) off (his/her) strideidiom
Definition of throw/knock (someone) off (his/her) stride
: to cause (someone) to be unable to continue walking or running steadily. Another runner bumped into him and threw/knocked him off his stride. often used figuratively She was surprised and thrown off stride by the unexpected question.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?