threshold was our Word of the Day on 06/23/2017. Hear the podcast!
Theme music by Joshua Stamper ©2006 New Jerusalem Music/ASCAP
Examples of threshold in a Sentence
- … we still hadn't grasped that we had crossed a threshold where it no longer mattered what passport you carried, that you were young and loved, … or that you were a noncombatant. —Paul Salopek, National Geographic, April 2008
- As we speak, the very worst of humanity is on the threshold of acquiring the most powerful weapons in history—this is a fear and a consideration to be taken very seriously. —Charles Krauthammer, New Republic, 29 Apr. 2002
- We thought that we were on the threshold of an age of space travel. But the greatest impact of the trip to the moon was on how we view the Earth. —Suzannah Lessard, Wilson Quarterly, Summer 2001
He stepped across the threshold.
If your income rises above a certain threshold, your tax rate also rises.
Recent Examples of threshold from the Web
In the new proposal, auto makers would receive credit toward duty-free content if worker pay meets that threshold.
Noble last week inked a binding pact with a senior creditor group holding 46 percent of its senior debt and is seeking more to sign on to the deal to meet the 75 percent threshold by value and 50 percent by number of creditors.
Then supporters will need to collect at least 305,591 signatures of registered Ohio voters, meeting a threshold in 44 of Ohio's 88 counties.
The suit was initially thrown out, but U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Whelan said a second complaint by the family met the threshold to go forward by laying out the roles each of the defendants played in the alleged murder plot.
Four Light would also have to meet the 15 percent affordability threshold.
No candidate met the threshold for endorsement, but her lack of endorsement signals a problem with the base.
Five players who previously met that threshold were selected conference players of the year.
Mitch McConnell has promised a wide-open series of votes on various plans and amendments to plans, with anything that can meet the usual Senate threshold for passage of major legislation of 60 votes being fine with him.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'threshold.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Did You Know?
The earliest known use of "threshold" in the English language is from Alfred the Great's Old English translation of the Roman philosopher Boethius's De consolatione philosophiae. In this translation, which was written around 888, "threshold" appears as "þeorscwold" (that first letter is called a thorn and it was used in Old English and Middle English to indicate the sounds produced by "th" in "thin" and "this"). The origins of this Old English word are not known, though it is believed to be related to Old English "threscan," from which we get the words thresh, meaning "to separate seed from (a harvested plant) using a machine or tool" and "thrash," meaning, among other things "to beat soundly with or as if with a stick or whip."
THRESHOLD Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of threshold for English Language Learners
: a piece of wood, metal, or stone that forms the bottom of a door and that you walk over as you enter a room or building
: the point or level at which something begins or changes
THRESHOLD Defined for Kids
Definition of threshold for Students
- Ralph had a scary feeling he was on the threshold of adventure.
- —Beverly Cleary, The Mouse and the Motorcycle
medical Definition of threshold
- below the threshold of consciousness
- the threshold of pain
- a high renal clearance threshold
legal Definition of threshold
- the threshold for inquiry
legal Definition of threshold
- the threshold issue in a negligence action is whether the defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff
- —Noakes v. City of Seattle, 895 P.2d 842 (1995)
- a threshold showing of the need for psychiatric evaluation
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up threshold? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).