variants: or thiocyanogen number
Definition of thiocyanogen value
: a measure of unsaturation (as of an oil or fat) expressed usually as the number of grams or percentage of iodine equivalent to the thiocyanogen absorbed by 100 grams of the substance and serving as a supplement to the iodine number because thiocyanogen adds to double bonds to a different extent from the usual reagents for determining iodine number the thiocyanogen value … is thus different from the ordinary value in that it differentiates between oleic, linoleic, and linolenic groups— T. P. Hilditch
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game