Examples of therefore in a Sentence
- To understand what has happened to the earth's atmosphere—and, therefore, how our climate might change in the future—some ice-core scientists in the Arctic are training their eyes directly downward. —Bryan Walsh, Time, 18 Aug. 2008
- Most Irish jump racing—and therefore most of the racing discussed in the book—is the laid-back pastime of enthusiasts … —Max Watman, New York Times Book Review, 9 Apr. 2006
- A good approach to finding out what makes us humans so darn special would therefore be to get complete maps of the human and chimp genomes, and compare the two. —John Derbyshire, National Review, 7 Nov. 2005
- Characteristically, however, Darwinists, like primitive economists, assume that what is humane—I use the word here, unexceptionably, as I believe, to mean whatever arises from the desire to mitigate competition and to put aside self-interest—is unnatural, and therefore wrong. —Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam, (1998) 2005
- I was once sitting behind a newspaper in the Swansea common room while two engineers, i.e. lecturers in engineering, therefore by common consent philistines, chatted together. —Kingsley Amis, Memoirs, 1991
The cell phone is thin and light and therefore very convenient to carry around.
Payment was received two weeks after it was due; therefore, you will be charged a late fee.
Recent Examples of therefore from the Web
The African Americans in power in their city and their state had, therefore, been put there illegally.
In any potential conflict with Russia, Boeing’s KC-46 tanker is also a key military asset and therefore also a potential target.
All that kept Hussein from having a nuclear bomb by the mid-1990s, therefore, was his decision to invade Kuwait.
The research highlights the growing attention being paid to the crucial ocean circulation in question, which is responsible for bringing warm ocean water northward and therefore warming higher latitudes and Europe in particular.
Just like Facebook, Twitter, and good old television, YouTube makes money from ads — and therefore, from audiences’ attention.
Mom would make excuses about not having cleaned the house, not having done laundry, and therefore not having clean sheets on my bed.
Commercially, therefore, the film has the advantage of a marvelous, beguiling score but one that has not been done to death.
About 75 percent of their children were born in the U.S. and therefore citizens — the rest were eligible for DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'therefore.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of therefore
THEREFORE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of therefore for English Language Learners
: for that reason : because of that
THEREFORE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up therefore? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).