Examples of therefore in a Sentence
- To understand what has happened to the earth's atmosphere—and, therefore, how our climate might change in the future—some ice-core scientists in the Arctic are training their eyes directly downward. —Bryan Walsh, Time, 18 Aug. 2008
- Most Irish jump racing—and therefore most of the racing discussed in the book—is the laid-back pastime of enthusiasts … —Max Watman, New York Times Book Review, 9 Apr. 2006
- A good approach to finding out what makes us humans so darn special would therefore be to get complete maps of the human and chimp genomes, and compare the two. —John Derbyshire, National Review, 7 Nov. 2005
- Characteristically, however, Darwinists, like primitive economists, assume that what is humane—I use the word here, unexceptionably, as I believe, to mean whatever arises from the desire to mitigate competition and to put aside self-interest—is unnatural, and therefore wrong. —Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam, (1998) 2005
- I was once sitting behind a newspaper in the Swansea common room while two engineers, i.e. lecturers in engineering, therefore by common consent philistines, chatted together. —Kingsley Amis, Memoirs, 1991
The cell phone is thin and light and therefore very convenient to carry around.
Payment was received two weeks after it was due; therefore, you will be charged a late fee.
Recent Examples of therefore from the Web
Successful new urbanites don’t have as many habitat or dietary limitations, and therefore can find both of those things in a variety of landscapes.
The streaming video market has therefore been less successful, allowing stores like Blockbuster to continue to thrive.
Neutrinos are nearly massless subatomic particles that have no electric charge and therefore interact rarely with their surroundings.
The objective is that the resultant development will make the parcel worth more, can therefore be taxed more, and will generate more revenue.
In the Hart case, the state is arguing that personalized plates are government speech, not individual speech, and therefore its denial of the plate is not a violation of Hart’s First Amendment rights.
Texas law mandates that the HOT tax only be used to promote projects, tourism, advertising, hiring of staff to aid with those events, or events that directly result in more visitors and room nights for the state, therefore generating more HOT taxes.
Byford, who often points out that most subway trips are successful and therefore forgettable, stood in a half-empty car and considered his position.
The vacating, therefore, erases a history that shouldn’t have happened.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'therefore.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
THEREFORE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of therefore for English Language Learners
: for that reason : because of that
THEREFORE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up therefore? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).