Examples of therefore in a Sentence
- To understand what has happened to the earth's atmosphere—and, therefore, how our climate might change in the future—some ice-core scientists in the Arctic are training their eyes directly downward. —Bryan Walsh, Time, 18 Aug. 2008
- Most Irish jump racing—and therefore most of the racing discussed in the book—is the laid-back pastime of enthusiasts … —Max Watman, New York Times Book Review, 9 Apr. 2006
- A good approach to finding out what makes us humans so darn special would therefore be to get complete maps of the human and chimp genomes, and compare the two. —John Derbyshire, National Review, 7 Nov. 2005
- Characteristically, however, Darwinists, like primitive economists, assume that what is humane—I use the word here, unexceptionably, as I believe, to mean whatever arises from the desire to mitigate competition and to put aside self-interest—is unnatural, and therefore wrong. —Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam, (1998) 2005
- I was once sitting behind a newspaper in the Swansea common room while two engineers, i.e. lecturers in engineering, therefore by common consent philistines, chatted together. —Kingsley Amis, Memoirs, 1991
The cell phone is thin and light and therefore very convenient to carry around.
Payment was received two weeks after it was due; therefore, you will be charged a late fee.
Recent Examples of therefore from the Web
Therefore, the Confederate flag has become a symbol for slavery and white supremacy, which is not only fundamentally wrong, but is very offensive.
Border fortifications are a sign that the debate in Beijing is evolving to recognize that North Korea is a source of instability and therefore a threat.
Therefore, his only hope is to drive political wedges between the tacit coalition that is forming among China, the United States, Japan and Korea.
The Afghans believed that American military bases were packed with alcohol and brothels, and that Aminyar was therefore guilty of blasphemy, a charge for which he could be persecuted by the Taliban, ISIS, or the official Afghan government itself.
Kosher salt, on the other hand, has slightly larger crystals and therefore a more pinch-able, easy to control texture.
Therefore, some customers getting the higher tax credits could find a better deal with higher-value gold plans, which cover 80 percent of the value, according to the analysis.
One of Rihanna’s favorite weeks (and therefore, one of everyone’s favorite weeks) is finally here.
Therefore, the council must make regulations very clear in order to eliminate as much subjectivity as possible.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'therefore.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of therefore
THEREFORE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of therefore for English Language Learners
: for that reason : because of that
THEREFORE Defined for Kids
Definition of therefore for Students
- She is sick and therefore will be absent.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up therefore? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).