the writing/handwriting is on the wallidiom
Definition of the writing/handwriting is on the wall
—used to say that it is clear that something bad will probably happen soon I haven't lost my job yet, but the writing is on the wall: my company just laid off 50 more people today.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?