the worm turnsidiom
Definition of the worm turns
—used to talk about how a situation can suddenly change so that a person who has been weak, unlucky, unsuccessful, etc., can become strong, lucky, successful, etc. The worm turns quickly in the world of politics.Some investors believe that the worm has turned, and that the economy is getting better.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?