Definition of the world
1 : the earth and all the people and things on it He is famous throughout the world. They sailed around the world. The product is shipped halfway around/across the world. The island was cut off from the rest of the world. They want to see/travel the world.
2 : the people in the world She felt that the world was against her. They announced their discovery to the world. The world watched as he attempted to break the Olympic record. She felt the eyes of the world watching her.
3 : all that is important : everything I would give my children the world if I could.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?