Definition of the works
1 : the moving parts of a machine the works of a clock —sometimes used figuratively The office used to be very efficient, but the new regulations have gummed up the works.
2 informal : everything that there is to have or do : everything that is available They ordered a pizza with the works. When we went to New York, we visited the museums, did some shopping, saw some shows—the whole works.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game