Definition of the works
1 : the moving parts of a machine the works of a clock —sometimes used figuratively The office used to be very efficient, but the new regulations have gummed up the works.
2 informal : everything that there is to have or do : everything that is available They ordered a pizza with the works. When we went to New York, we visited the museums, did some shopping, saw some shows—the whole works.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game