Definition of the stretch
: the final straight part of a racecourse before the finish line the horses are in the (final) stretch —often used figuratively She's in the final stretch. The baby's due next month.They will wind up the season with a winning record having won some crucial games down the stretch.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game