the specter of (something)idiom
Definition of the specter of (something)
: a notion or fear of something bad that might happen in the future a nation alarmed/haunted by the specter of famine/war News of the disease raised the specter of a possible plague.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game