the specter of (something)idiom
Definition of the specter of (something)
: a notion or fear of something bad that might happen in the future a nation alarmed/haunted by the specter of famine/war News of the disease raised the specter of a possible plague.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game