get the sackidiom (1)
Definition of get the sack
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to be dismissed suddenly from a job : to get fired She got the sack for always being late.
give (someone) the sackidiom (2)
Definition of give (someone) the sack (Entry 2 of 2)
: to dismiss (someone) suddenly from a job : to fire (someone) The company gave him the sack for improper conduct.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game