the ropesplural noun
Definition of the ropes
1 : the special way things are done at a particular place or in a particular activity The veteran cop showed the rookie the ropes. It will take a few weeks for new employees to learn the ropes. someone who knows the ropes
2 : a fence made of rope that encloses a boxing or wrestling ring The boxer was pushed back against the ropes.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game