the ropesplural noun
Definition of the ropes
1 : the special way things are done at a particular place or in a particular activity The veteran cop showed the rookie the ropes. It will take a few weeks for new employees to learn the ropes. someone who knows the ropes
2 : a fence made of rope that encloses a boxing or wrestling ring The boxer was pushed back against the ropes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game