the plot thickensidiom
Definition of the plot thickens
—used to say that the story in a novel, movie, etc., becomes more complicated or interesting The plot thickens when the audience learns that the missing woman used to work for the FBI. —sometimes used in a usually humorous way to talk about things that happen in real life So you've worked with him before? Ah, the plot thickens.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game