the plot thickensidiom
Definition of the plot thickens
—used to say that the story in a novel, movie, etc., becomes more complicated or interesting The plot thickens when the audience learns that the missing woman used to work for the FBI. —sometimes used in a usually humorous way to talk about things that happen in real life So you've worked with him before? Ah, the plot thickens.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game