Definition of the plot thickens
—used to say that the story in a novel, movie, etc., becomes more complicated or interesting The plot thickens when the audience learns that the missing woman used to work for the FBI. —sometimes used in a usually humorous way to talk about things that happen in real life So you've worked with him before? Ah, the plot thickens.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game