the last/final wordnoun
Definition of the last/final word
1 : the final thing said in an argument or a discussion Your mother's decision is the final word on the matter. Why do you always have to have the last word?
2 : the power to make a final decision The judge will have the last word on the divorce agreement.
3 informal : the most modern or best one of its kind This is the last word in wireless phones. The van's design is the last word in safety.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game