Definition of the last
1 : the last person or thing in a group or series He was the last in line. The last of the tests was given today.
2 : the last time I guess that is the last we will see of her.
3 : the end of something They fought hard to the last.
4 : the end of someone's life He was cheerful to the last.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Piano': Its Name Is Only Half the Story
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game